Trail running in the Auvergne region
In the immediate vicinity trainings from 45 minutes up to several hours can be done with minimal - or mostly, no - asphalt. There will be on the other hand many meters of climbing involved.
Signposted trail run routes
No less than 9 signposted trail run routes start in Le Mont-Dore:
Crève Coeur: a 2,8 km climb with 210 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Capu’Dur: a 2,9 km climb with no less than 420 meters of climbing from Le Mont-Dore to the Pic du Capucin. Level: red.
- Med'Art: an introductory trail of 5,5 km with 190 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Assaut de la Cabane: a long climb for experienced trail runners from Le Mont-Dore to the Puy de Sancy. With 1.885 meters the highest point of the Central Massif. In 8,3 km one climbs 845 meters. Level: black.
- Egrav'Art: a short but varied run over 8,8 km with 345 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Dure-Bise: a run for experienced trail runners over 10,7 km with 575 meters of climbing. Level: red.
- Capu’Fro: a short run of 11,5 km with 590 meters of climbing including a very technical descent. Level: red.
- Capu’Dor: a long trail run route of 17 km and 690 meters of climbing. After an easy start - slightly descending along the Dordogne river - a long climb in the direction of the Pic du Capucin. Level: red.
- Les Cascades: A long trail run route for experienced trail runners. 17 km with no less than 950 meters of climbing. De route leads trail runners by 3 waterfalles (Queureuilh, Rossignolet and La Grande Cascade) and goes over the ridge between the de Col de la Croix Morand and the Col de la Croix Saint Robert. Level: black.
Also from La Bourboule
La Bourboule - at 6 km from Les Camélias - also offers 4 signposted trail run routes:
Le Plateau de Charlannes: a short run of 6 km with 170 meters of climbing. Ideal for an interval training.
- La Montée de Charlannes: a 2,5 km climb with 330 meters of climbing with several parts of more than 100 meter with more than 25% elevation!
- La Vendeix - Charlannes: a route of almost 9,3 km with 400 meters of climbing. It essentially is a long steep climb followed by a long steep descent.
- La Roche Vendeix - Rocher d'Aigle: a run of 8,4 km with 475 meters of climbing with 2 climbs with parts of more than 30%!