Trail running in the Auvergne region
In the immediate vicinity trainings from 45 minutes up to several hours can be done with minimal - or mostly, no - asphalt. There will be on the other hand many meters of climbing involved.
Since we live on site and since Margriet likes a bit of trail running herself, we can give trail runners good advice on the many possibilities. And of course we offer a free laundry service for (sports) clothing.
Signposted trail run routes
No less than 9 signposted trail run routes start in Le Mont-Dore:
Crève Coeur: a 2,8 km climb with 210 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Capu’Dur: a 2,9 km climb with no less than 420 meters of climbing from Le Mont-Dore to the Pic du Capucin. Level: red.
- Med'Art: an introductory trail of 5,5 km with 190 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Assaut de la Cabane: a long climb for experienced trail runners from Le Mont-Dore to the Puy de Sancy. With 1.885 meters the highest point of the Central Massif. In 8,3 km one climbs 845 meters. Level: black.
- Egrav'Art: a short but varied run over 8,8 km with 345 meters of climbing. Level: green.
- Dure-Bise: a run for experienced trail runners over 10,7 km with 575 meters of climbing. Level: red.
- Capu’Fro: a short run of 11,5 km with 590 meters of climbing including a very technical descent. Level: red.
- Capu’Dor: a long trail run route of 17 km and 690 meters of climbing. After an easy start - slightly descending along the Dordogne river - a long climb in the direction of the Pic du Capucin. Level: red.
- Les Cascades: A long trail run route for experienced trail runners. 17 km with no less than 950 meters of climbing. De route leads trail runners by 3 waterfalles (Queureuilh, Rossignolet and La Grande Cascade) and goes over the ridge between the de Col de la Croix Morand and the Col de la Croix Saint Robert. Level: black.
Also from La Bourboule
La Bourboule - at 6 km from Les Camélias - also offers 4 signposted trail run routes:
Le Plateau de Charlannes: a short run of 6 km with 170 meters of climbing. Ideal for an interval training.
- La Montée de Charlannes: a 2,5 km climb with 330 meters of climbing with several parts of more than 100 meter with more than 25% elevation!
- La Vendeix - Charlannes: a route of almost 9,3 km with 400 meters of climbing. It essentially is a long steep climb followed by a long steep descent.
- La Roche Vendeix - Rocher d'Aigle: a run of 8,4 km with 475 meters of climbing with 2 climbs with parts of more than 30%!
Trail run events in Le Mont-Dore
21 & 22 September 2019 the Trails du Sancy Mont-Dore will again take place. During these 2 days the following 5 races are being organised:
- La Dorée Trail: 12,5 km and 550 meters of climbing
- Le Chemin des Crêtes: 18 km and 1090 meters of climbing
- Trail du Sancy: 34 km with 2400 meters of climbing
- Grand Trail du Sancy: 60 km with 3350 meters of climbing. This is a qualification race for the Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc (2 points).
- Sancy - Puy de Dôme: 110 km with 4110 meters of climbing. This is a qualification race for the Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc (5 points).
The video below gives a good impression of what participants can expect.
Trail Hivernal Sancy Mont-Dore
In January 2020, the Trail Hivernal Sancy Mont-Dore will take place. As the name says, a winter trail that generally takes place in a white, snowy landscape. Participants can choose from two distances:
- 20,3 km with 900 meters of climbing
- 30,3 km with 1515 meters of climbing
The video below gives a good impression of what participants can expect during this winter trail.
More information about these events can be found on the website of the organisation.
Both events are known for their excellent organisation including good refreshment stations during the race and a meal afterwards.
Please feel free to contact us for additional information about these 2 events or about trail running in the vicinity of Les Camélias in general.